Friday, February 8, 2008

I'm Cheating On My Novel


It's true. I've started writing another Story, while in the midst of my Novel, and I know it's self-destructive, and it's hurting my Novel and she doesn't even know it. But this Story is so damned sexy.

Okay, it's not like that, but it is, really.

What this is is a long story in and of itself. My wife (I almost wrote 'girlfriend' which is weird ...) has always wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons(TM) and got to briefly play a game with me (I say 'briefly' because she only got to play three sessions, and the first one was just creating her character (She hasn't had the chance to learn the game, but she wants to, so badly (Honest and for true!) And I'm not in a game right now, and I've played for years but never DMed and I've secretly always wanted to (And I know I would rock at it, but it's losing that virginity, you know?( Some people go for the first chance they get, but I've always been the 'wait for the perfect moment' sort of girl. Where was I? Oh right).).).)

So, here is the perfect opportunity for me to break my DM cherry, and the perfect opportunity for her to be comfortable with the crazy arcane, byzantine rules -- or at least the fears of them -- that can be paralyzing to creativity. And this is all about me having a fun time with my favorite, special lady.

So, I'm coming up with a solo game for the two of us, and if it gets good, and if she's having fun, and I'm having fun and being comfortable, why, we'll invite some friends to get together for an enjoyable evening! Where's the downside?

Dammit, I'm using my brain for D&D and not for Novel. Well ... it's okay, right, because I'm still writing, right? I'm still being creative and it's for a really good reason!

And let's face it, the shine has sort of worn off the ol' apple, there, N. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you haven't been lighting my fires recently. There was that one good night a few weeks ago, but you know, this has been a lot like work, and I'm pretty tired of it.

Oh, don't do that.

C'mon, listen, don't. Just ... come here.

I'm sorry ... I'm sorry ... Shh

We'll be okay. We'll be okay.

2 comments:

Kamina said...

It's all about cycling your creativity! It's the only way to avoid the writer's block. Like I don't feel like writing about being an atheist so much as I did last month. To keep it good I have to slow down and stay steady. You don't just plow through your first book.

Kamina said...

also I'm really glad you posted this, it's beautiful.