Sunday, February 3, 2008

Waiting for the third shoe to drop

Got a text last night from my mom saying that my grandma was in the "hospital at least thru weekend. Anemia, checking for ulcer. Blood transfusion and endescopy."

I replied "oh my. let me know if there's anything we can do to help"

She replies that i can call her and gives me the number & room.

I call today and had a brief conversation with her. I called, and this lady answered, and i asked if Ethel was there, and i overheard a brief discussion about how to get the phone across the room. I heard a nurse being called, and then my grandma was on the phone.

I said, "Hey, grandma, this is Mark" and she said "what, in the park?" and i said "No, this is Mark, your grandson." And she was happy to hear my voice, and she asked if she was supposed to be there, in the hospital. I said, "Yes, you should be there, you're supposed to relax and get better," and she gave a relieved laugh and said she didn't know if anyone knew she was there. I said my mom knows because she gave me the phone number to call, so we know grandma's in the hospital, she's okay.

So, i tell her i love her and hope she gets better soon, and she says she loves me and that she thinks she's going crazy. And i say, "What? Going crazy?" and she laughs and says, "Not crazy for loving you, but that i might be going crazy. Something's wrong. Okay, i love you, bye!" and she hung up.

I stood there for a moment with my mouth open, kinda stunned. I know she's losing her ... stuff. She complained once, at Thanksgiving, that we hadn't visited her since she moved into the retirement home, and i let it slide, but we had. But this was different because ... well, she's probably right, she may be losing her mind, and she's aware of it on some level. How do you deal with that, other than show support and reassurance? I think she has the right to get a straight answer, if she asks, point blank, "Do you think i'm going crazy?" but otherwise it's probably best to not bring it up. If i were going crazy, i'd probably want someone to tell me, but my grandma's not me. I dunno.

Oh, and my cousin and his family were in a head-on collision today and so my mom's rushing to the hospital as well.

Man, you tell one God you don't believe in Him any more, and He gets all pissy and starts taking your family away.

[Update:]

The Digits are on their way to visit Grandma. Cousin is okay, has a broken femur by the pelvis and a couple of busted ribs. He wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I said, "HOW old is he?"

They said, "Forty ... old enough to know better!" So, looks like they're okay. His wife got banged up and they're observing her to make sure there was no damage to her heart.

Okay, God, funny joke, ha ha. Now, stop being a dick, 'kay?

No comments: