Friday, December 7, 2007

The Day After Cake

I'm having a much harder time writing this post than i did earlier today when writing in my book. Yes, it was only two pages, but it was a good two pages. Good and tricky. It's, for me, the pivot, which kind of worries me because how soon after the pivot part of your story does your story have to end? Is it even important to have a pivot in your story? What do you even mean by 'pivot'?

I'm not even sure. Let me check.

Well, the internet and i don't really agree, if googling "pivot in literature" is any indication. Maybe there's a better phrase ...

Okay, "pivot point in stories" gave me a bunch of Wall $treet garbage ... Anyway, my definition is that it's the point in the story where a person crosses the median to go from one point of change to another. A character that changes in the course of a story in a way that is plausible enriches that story, and, just thinking out loud, there should be a point somewhere from point A to point B where they behave like a normal human being in that respect.

Person abhors math, needs math to do something else that they want to do, discovers love of math, uses math to save the world -- with hilarious results!

Point A is probably closer to the median than Point B ... the pivot would come sooner, if the story started with Point A. You could have the pivot predate your story, I suppose, but if your story ends prepivot then either that's not your main character or you've written a tragedy. Or a comedy. I forget. Let's see, comedy was when everyone got married and tragedy was when whoever should be dead was dead. Or something like that.

Anyway, forget what i said, there's no pivots in writing. I made up pivot points and it was stupid and i'm sorry.

1 comment:

Kamina said...

I sniff-laughed so many times