Sunday, December 2, 2007

I totally did it


It's normally about this time that I crash and burn and not follow through. I've never been very good with follow through ... i tend to hit things as hard and fast as i can at the outset and hope inertia can carry me through to spitting distance of the end.

So i tend to write short stories, plays and poems. Psh, books. What do i look like, someone ... er ... something ... ? I kinda gave up on that sentence because it was taking too long.

I wrote four and a bit pages today, which, if you're keeping score, means I'm, on average, putting out three and a quarter pages per month. Shouldn't be too hard to take that average up a bit. Let's see, that's less than a page a week. So, all i would really have to do is maybe write two pages a week and then i'd be shooting at 8 pages a month.

And of course I'm the type of person that waits until he has to write 8 pages in half an hour because i'm very stupid that way. I understand perfectly well why it would benefit me to do a little bit a day instead of a lot all at once. But it's like my brain is addicted to low to high levels of background stress that is constantly building, bubbling under the surface until WHAMMO it's GO time and there's a couple hours of hell, but whatever.

So, i must really love to put myself in do-or-die situations and succeeding, especially because i have the excuse that i didn't really take a lot of time to do this ... it's a crappy safety-net, and i'm liable to hurt myself.

Okay, last thought before i go do something else to celebrate: i really do enjoy writing. i was making myself giggle for what felt like hours because of what happened to one of my characters and how she handled it. I think that was the most fun writing i've had for a long time, and i think if i keep this up and have the right attitude, i could have a lot more of that.

It's giggle times ahoy!

3 comments:

Kamina said...

I would like to see a pie chart showing your progress in the future

Merk said...

I'm putting that on my action item lists and prioritizing it over my regular schedule paradigm.

I got a promotion talking like that once.

Kamina said...

add fixing the sliding glass door to that list.