Monday, December 17, 2007

Finished! Psych!

I dragged at work all day today. I felt I was asleep, and actually rested my eyes while during the conference call today. That's the first time I've done that since I got hired for this position. I was seriously zombied.

Still, when I got home, I surfed the Web a bit and then started writing. And kept writing. And wrote three pages. I was a little surprised in where the story was taking me, but I was still interested. It was a dream sequence, mainly, and I now see the sort-of-irony.

Dreams are not as hard in a story as they are in real life, I think. In a story, all the elements are there and mean something. In real life, nothing means anything, even the obvious stuff, the only thing that's true is that you're boring the hell out of anyone in earshot. You remember the dream being powerful because you had a powerful experience that absolutely does not translate with words and images. In a story, on the other hand, it's a story within-a-story and it's a mystery and your job is to figure out the clues. What does the penguin with the hat mean?

For the record, there were no penguins or non sequiturs in the dream.

I think you still run the risk of having a boring dream in a boring story, but that's a different challenge.

At any rate, I reached the end of the red book, filling in the right-hand side of the pages, and now I've flipped the book and am writing upside-down for the rest. Well, we'll see how it goes, I'm a moderately heavy writer, and this paper is somewhat thin. I may just bail and start a new book, but that would be an accomplishment for me anyway. I've never finished a notebook, ever ever ever ever ever ever (and in case you think I copied/pasted that, I didn't, I really mean it) ever finished a notebook.

Now look at me! I may just be a writer, yet.

No comments: